Last Updated September 1, 2020
Personal Information Collection
Information You Provide to Us
We collect information about you that you provide to us through the contact form on the Website or documents that you submit to us, such as:
- Identification information, such as your date of birth and social security number.
- Contact information, such as your name, telephone number, mailing address, and email address.
- Benefit information, such as described in a described in a Qualified Domestic Relations Order.
Information We Collect Automatically
We automatically collect information about you when you access or use our Website. For example, we collect:
- Browsing and Usage Information. When you access or use our Website, some information is collected automatically, such as the kind of browser you use, your IP address, the web page you were on prior to coming to the Website, and the date and time of your visit.
Information We Collect from Other Sources
We may collect information about from other sources that we may combine or link with information we have about you. For example, we may collect information from:
- Retirement and Benefit Plan Providers. Details related to the retirement and benefit plan administered by Costco, which may also include Identification and Contact Information related to the plan participants.
- Costco Employment Information. Identification and Contact Information from Costco’s employment records.
- Government and Court Orders. Government and Court orders (e.g child support, dissolution) related to the QDRO processing.
Personal Information Use
We will use the information we collect about you for the following purposes:
- Communications and Support. To respond to inquiries about QDROs, communicate regarding QDROs and your 401(k) Plan accounts.
- Plan Administration and Management. To administer Costco’s retirement and benefit plans and programs, evaluate your and your spouse and dependents’ eligibility for those plans and programs, implement and manage QDRO requirements, and other similar uses.
- General Business Operations. To carry out or day-to-day business activities, maintain and operate the Website, and ensure business continuity.
We do not access or use browsing and usage information for any purpose other than as may be necessary to operate and maintain the Website.
Sharing of Information
- Interested Parties. As required by or to administer the QDRO or as otherwise authorized by you, we share information with other third parties involved in a QDRO determination or in Costco’s retirement and benefit plans and programs.
- Vendors and Service Providers. We will share information with our vendors and service providers that help us operate our business, manage our retirement plans, and operate and maintain the Website.
- Our Affiliates and Entities that Belong to Costco’s Corporate Group. We share information with our corporate affiliates, subsidiaries, and other companies under common control and ownership.
- Corporate Transactions. We may disclose information about you as part of a corporate transaction. This could be a merger, acquisition, joint venture, sale of company assets, reorganization, divestiture, bankruptcy, or similar type of business transaction
- Legally Required Disclosures, Other Uses, and Disclosures. We share information about you as necessary to comply with applicable law or legal process. We share information to respond to complaints or legal claims or to protect the rights, property or personal safety of the Costco companies, our employees, or the public.
We do not sell personal information or use it or share it with any third party to use for marketing purposes. We may share aggregated or de-identified information that cannot reasonably be linked to you in accordance with applicable law.
Protection of Your Information
We aim to take reasonable steps to help protect your personal information. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. We are unable to guarantee the security of your personal information. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure, please let us know (see “Contact Us” below).
Contact Us; Questions or Concerns